This notice is for this website; http://www.mariaofsouthsudan.wordpress.com owned by Letitia Mason and governs the privacy of those who use it. It explains how I control, process, handle and protect your personal data while browsing or using this website, including your rights under current UK laws and regulations.
“I” or “The Website” refers to Letitia Mason
“you”, “the user” refers to the user of the Website.
GDPR means General Data Protection Act.
Processing of your personal data
Under the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) I control and process personal information electronically.
I am exempt from registration in the ICO Data Protection Register because I only hold the personal information of the people I need for my own advertising, marketing, and public relations.
The information is restricted to what is necessary for advertising, marketing, and public relations – for example, names, email addresses and websites.
I only advertise and market my own goods and services. I do not sell directly from this website.
Lawful basis: Consent
- The reason I use this basis: You gave consent to use your data when you used a link to buy a book or chose to follow me.
- I process your information in the following ways: To keep you updated with special offers and news about my books and other material written by me.
- Data retention period: I will continue to process your information until November 2026
- Sharing your information: I do not share your personal information with third parties apart from sponsored and affiliate links.
Lawful basis: Legal obligation
- The reason I use this basis: To pay my taxes correctly.
- I process your information in the following ways: automatically sending you copies of my blog and updates on my books and other material written by me.
- Data retention period: Six years
- Sharing your information: I do not share your information with third parties apart from sponsored affiliate links, see later paragraph for more detail.
- If, as determined by me, the lawful basis upon which I process your personal information changes, I will notify you about the change and any new lawful basis to be used if required. I shall stop processing your personal information if the lawful basis used is no longer relevant.
Under the GDPR your rights are as follows.
- the right to be informed;
- the right of access;
- the right to rectification;
- the right to erasure;
- the right to restrict processing;
- the right to data portability;
- the right to object; and
- the right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
Data security and protection
I ensure the security of any personal information we hold by using secure data storage technologies provided by WordPress in how the information is stored, accessed, and managed.
Sponsored links, affiliate tracking & commissions
This website contains adverts, sponsored, and affiliate links on some pages. These are served through Amazon Affiliates and WordPress.
Clickable sponsored or affiliate links are displayed as a website URL like this;
Buy now on Amazon – paperback or Kindle.
Clicking on any adverts, sponsored or affiliate links may track your actions by using a cookie saved to your device. You can read more about cookies above. Your actions are usually recorded as a referral from the website by this cookie. I may earn a very small commission from the advertiser or advertising partner, at no cost to you, whether you make a purchase on their website or not.
I use advertising partners in these ways to help generate a very small income from the website, which allows me to continue to provide you with the best overall experience and information.
If you have any concerns about this, I suggest you do not click on any adverts, sponsored or affiliate links found throughout the website but go straight to Amazon.
Email marketing messages & subscription
Under the GDPR I use the consent lawful basis for anyone following my personal blog. I only collect certain data about you, as detailed in the “Processing of your personal data” above. I do not currently collect email addresses. If I do so in future, any messages will be sent through an email marketing service provider: Mailchimp
You can opt out of receiving emails or ask to see the data I hold for you, or request I remove your data at any time by the following methods:
- Unfollow on social media sites, or email ‘Unsubscribe’.